SETI with ZTF21 May 2018
The Point (TM): ZTF (or LSST) isn’t necessarily the ideal place to do SETI work, but we get it for “free”. Might as well be looking! It could be a critical piece of the ZTF/LSST - Astrobiology connection.
ZTF is Online
data streams are rolling now, we should put in alert trigger thingys.
lightcurves will come. do batch analysis later
Here are some actual approaches I have come up with that we might pursue, roughly in order of ease of implementation. This list should be viewed as perpetually in-prep.
1) alerts from the stars within the “restricted Earth Transit Zone (Heller & Pudritz 2016)
- anytime we can see them w/ ZTF
- especially at our opposition (i.e. when we appear to transit)
2) alerts from known exoplanet host systems
3) alerts coinciding with any known transit conjunction (mid-transit)
- allow some tolerance window to account for TTVs
4) VASCO-type events, stars appearing or disappearing.
- Esp. stars appearing that do not have a Gaia DR2 detection, for example.
- stars disappearing will be very interesting